Saturday, May 01, 2004

I Suppose It Could Be A Typo But Unfortunately I Just Can't Get The Tinfoil Hat Off My Head These Days




I think anyone who heard or read our Dear Leader's Rose Garden comments yesterday defending his flight-suit carrier deck stunt were struck by the searing irony of his boast that, because of the invasion,

"...there are no longer torture chambers or rape rooms or mass graves in Iraq. "

After all, the awful photographs of American soldiers torturing Iraqi detainees been broadcast just 24 hours prior and were making their way into the world's horrified collective consciousness. One would think the president would want to avoid the phrase "torture chambers" at all cost.

Globe columnist Wayne Washington apparantly agreed, and decided to spare Mr Bush further embarrassment in his column today. He quotes the Dubya:

''A year ago, I did give the speech from the carrier, saying that we had achieved an important objective, that we had accomplished a mission, which was the removal of Saddam Hussein," Bush said in the Rose Garden after meeting with Canada's prime minister, Paul Martin. ''And as a result, there are no longer chambers or rape rooms or mass graves in Iraq. As a result, a friend of terror has been removed and now sits in jail." (Italics mine.)

Now where is that word, that little word I thought I heard issuing from W's lips on the radio yesterday, I think it began with "T" ...

So what kind of "chambers" are no longer in Iraq ? Bubble chambers ?

One does grow weary of the press cleaning up our Dear Leader's garbled nonsense and otherwise shielding him from his many self-induced embarrassments.

(I wrote the ombudsman. I'll post follow-up as any materializes.)



No comments: